As you may or may not know, Syncthing is an open source alternative to the proprietary P2P sync tool BitTorrent Sync. Syncthing 0.14.5, codenamed Dysprosium Dragonfly, was released on August 23, 2016. All users are recommended to upgrade ASAP.
Changes in this release includes:
- Improved completion percentage calculations.
- Windows version now requires Go 1.7.
- CPU usage during syncing is reduced.
- Master folder out of sync issue resolved.
- No more temporary index sorting databases.
- Enhanced automatic upgrade.
How to Install or Upgrade Syncthing 0.14.5 on Ubuntu 16.04
For those of you who already have Syncthing installed, you simply need to update your local package index and upgrade software packages on your system.
sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade
To check which version you have, run the following command:
If your Ubuntu 16.04 system doesn’t have Syncthing, here’s how to install it via the official APT repository.
curl to download the Syncthing GPG key then import the key to Ubuntu system with
sudo apt install curl curl -s https://syncthing.net/release-key.txt | sudo apt-key add -
Then add official Syncthing deb repository with the following command.
echo "deb http://apt.syncthing.net/ syncthing release" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/syncthing.list
Update local package index and install Syncthing on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install syncthing
This deb repository also works on Debian or other Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux distros such as Linux Mint, Elementary OS.
Set Up Syncthing Systemd Service
The official Syncthing deb package comes with the needed systemd service file. Under
/lib/systemd/system/ directory, you will find a
syncthing@.service file. You can enable Syncthing to auto start when Ubuntu is booted up by running the below command. Replace
username with your actual username.
sudo systemctl enable firstname.lastname@example.org
Now we can start the Syncthing Systemd service with the following command.
sudo systemctl start email@example.com
Let’s check its status.
systemctl status firstname.lastname@example.org
● [email protected] - Syncthing - Open Source Continuous File Synchronization for linuxbabe Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/syncthing@.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled) Active: active (running) since 六 2016-06-04 17:16:20 CST; 31s ago Docs: man:syncthing(1) Main PID: 5586 (syncthing) CGroup: [email protected] └─5586 /usr/bin/syncthing -no-browser -no-restart -logflags=0
We can see that Syncthing auto start is enabled and it’s running. Now in your Web browser’s address bar, type
127.0.0.1:8384 to access the Syncthing Web interface. You can add other Syncthing devices and share folders with them. The default syncing folder is ~/Sync
I hope this tutorial helped you install or upgrade to Syncthing 0.14.5 on your Debian, Ubuntu, or Linux Mint box. If you found this post useful, then subscribe to our free newsletter or follow us on Google+, Twitter or like our Facebook page. Thanks for visiting!